Believe in power of prayer. Will it work for colonic polyps?

Dr. Arthur Heller
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Unknown

Maybe, but i would still make sure that i got colonoscopies, checked family history, discussed taking aspirin, diet, maybe even genetic testing (if appropriate) with my doc.

In brief: Unknown

Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Arthur Heller
2 comments
Dr. Robert Lang
Be sure you get enough Vitamin D and fiber in your diet: they have been associated with a lower risk of colon cancer.
Dr. Martin Raff
I would pray that you have a good doctor.
Dr. James Okamoto

In brief: Prayer

This question is more theological than medical.
As a physician I have seen people healed after prayer from things that could not be explained by medicine or by science, but on the other hand I have seen devout people die from disease in spite of prayer. Prayer is not a substitute for good medical care, the two work best together. Pray but also have regular check ups and follow a healthy lifestyle.

In brief: Prayer

Dr. James Okamoto
Dr. James Okamoto
Pathology

In brief: No

Ignore a premalignant colon polyp or an early cancer and you can end up paying with your life.
I have investigated these claims of "miraculous cancer cures with prayer", and every one that I've seen was a fake.

In brief: No

In brief: Prayer benefits

None of the physicians on this panel can tell you if your prayers or distance prayers will change your colon health.
Our bodies are a gift. I believe it is our responsibility to care for our bodies which means recommended medical screening & care. Although studies of impact of prayer on medical conditions is often not scientifically rigorous, the results are very encouraging.

In brief: Prayer benefits

I suggest you read this article: http://stason.org/TULARC/health/alternative-medicine/Prayer-Health-Benefits.html. It may be to your benefit to make use of all options available to you (including both prayer and medical treatment). Take care.
Dr. Sumit Sawhney
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: No

If prayers worked no one would ever get sick.

In brief: No

Dr. Sumit Sawhney
Dr. Sumit Sawhney