Is having irregular patches of discoloration on the tongue a mark of something?

Dr. Charles Cattano
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Tongue looks patchy

The tongue is known to have many variations with pigmenting, size, appearance, & not always due to disease.
Causes of tongue that looks patchy include: lichen planus (responds to steroids), white sponge nevus (familial, benign, permanent), smoker's leukoplakia (2% risk of cancer, needs biopsy), hairy leukoplakia (due to epsteinbarr virus), warts (due to papillomavirus), "thrush" (rx antifungals).

In brief: Tongue looks patchy

Dr. Charles Cattano
Dr. Charles Cattano
Dr. Vijay Laxmi Misra

In brief: No

Sounds like geographic tongue to me.
Make sure you see your physician to confirm that. It usually is a benign condition.

In brief: No

Sounds like geographic tongue to me.
Dr. Vijay Laxmi Misra
Dr. Vijay Laxmi Misra