Are there good alternative therapies for hives?

Not really! Hives are divided into acute (<6 wks) and chronic (>6 wks). Acute usually are self-limited and go away on their own. Chronic could be due to other health problems, so see your doctor. If there is a known trigger it is treated/removed. If no known trigger, then treatment is usually with a non-sedating antihistamine to suppress the hives. No alternative therapies have been found efficacious.
Avoidance. I have never seen evidence that 'alternative therapies' are effective for hives. Traditionally we recommend oral antihistamines (like benadryl, (diphenhydramine) claritin, zyrtec, allegra, etc.). Avoidance of known triggers are your best bet.
None as good as. Antihistamines. If you have a food allergy triggering your hives then avoiding that food will control the hives. No medications to take & problem solved; perhaps that qualifies as alternative therapy? But I like to think of it as good detective work by you & your physician. Chalk up one for allopathic medicine! Yea.