How much vitamin d should I be taking and why?

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
In brief: Depends
How much vitamin d a person takes is dependent on their vitamin d level on routine blood testing.
If not deficient, vitamin d does not need to taken. If deficient, i recommend 1000 units daily. This is in the form of vitamin d3. In addition, one also needs 10-15 minutes of sunlight to make the inactive form found in pills into an active form issuable to the human body.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Tracy Berg
If your blood level is below 20, you are low. Ok to take double the RDA (1000 IU daily) or 2000 IU daily and repeat your blood level in 3 to 6 months.
Dr. Thomas Rohde
General Practice
In brief: Check your level !
I measure a level on every patient that comes in for a consultation in illinois as 99% of the people i see are low.
A study in hawaii showed 50% are low! i personally take 7, 000 iu daily with vit k to keep my level at about 80 (normal range 30-100), and studies showing benefit for most conditions are in levels above 50. Guestimate dose is 30iu per pound, then follow levels and adjust accordingly.

In brief: Check your level !
Dr. Thomas Rohde
Dr. Thomas Rohde
2 comments
Dr. CESAR HOLGADO
Hypovitaminosis D is an epidemic. It is associated with over 2000 medical conditions. I agree that levels should be above 50 and not 32 like what most lab recommend. I have been taking anywhere beetween 7000-10,000 IU per day for years without any toxicity. Have your levels checked on a regular basis. A normal level is one of your best bet against chronic diseases and infections.
Dr. Maureen Mays
I agree - at my clinic in Portland Oregon we run about 95% of patients deficient. AND it can take years of high dose therapy to get in the normal range. Check levels and shoot for 50-100 for a level. It is toxic if overdosed, so do check levels at lease once a year. More if you live in the sun.
Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Preventive Medicine
In brief: 600-800 units, maybe
Vitamin d is important for strong bone health, as well healthy nerve, muscle and immune systems.
We generally get what we need from the effect of sunlight on our skin, and some foods such as fatty fish like salmon, tuna and mackerel, as well as fortified milk. If you get little sunlight, or where sunblock all the time, you might benefit from a supplement of 600-800 units/day (adults).

In brief: 600-800 units, maybe
Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Dr. Marc Rosenthal
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: If deficient, ALOT..
Vitamin d deficiency is quite common as most of us are not hunter/gatherers like our ancestors.
As a consequence of working indoors and wearing sunblock, many of us are low in vitamin d. If abnormal, we usually prescribe 600, 000 units over 6 weeks, repeat a level 6 weeks after that. If still abnormal, this is repeated for a total of 1.2 million units. After that, maintenance is 1000-2000/day.

In brief: If deficient, ALOT..
Dr. Marc Rosenthal
Dr. Marc Rosenthal