What is the drug of choice for the peripheral neuropathy in diabetic pt.?

Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Neurontin (gabapentin)
I typically start with Neurontin as it has a generic.
Other drugs include Lyrica (pregabalin) and cymbalta, but they tend to be more expensive. Remember all drugs have side effects and the inial goal of treatment is sugar control.

In brief: Neurontin (gabapentin)
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
In brief: Anti-convulsants
Depending on the patient, a number of anti-convulsants are useful in diabetic neuropathy.
My preference is for lyrica, (pregabalin) but not all patients tolerate it. Talk to your dr, & consider your options.

In brief: Anti-convulsants
Dr. Kitturah Schomberg-Klaiss
Dr. Kitturah Schomberg-Klaiss
Dr. Angus Worthing
In brief: Nerve medicine
Lyrica, (pregabalin) or its generic predecessor gabapentin, are good options.
Your doctor is the best source of information.

In brief: Nerve medicine
Dr. Angus Worthing
Dr. Angus Worthing
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry
In brief: Many options.
Topical capsaicin may be helpful for some, while others may benefit with oral medication such as Pregabalin (lyrica), Amitriptyline (elavil), duloxetine (cymbalta), Gabapentin (neurontin), Carbamazepine (tegretol), or valproate (depakote) to reduce the painful symptoms in the feet due to neuropathy.
Watch you sugar intake, and have your vitamin b levels checked and supplemented as necessary.

In brief: Many options.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Peter Kurzweil