I bloat so much no matter what I eat or how much. Usually my stomach is so flat except after a meal. Could it be a gluten allergy ? Any ideas ?

Dr. Arthur Heller
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Gluten or not

Could be related to gluten, other carbohydrates that aren't well digested, e.
g. Lactose, fructose; swallowed air, gum chewing, irritable bowel, other bowel conditions, hormonal, gyn conditions. See your doc. Blood tests can screen for gluten problems; bring a diet diary, annotated with symptoms, to the doctor's appt.

In brief: Gluten or not

Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Arthur Heller
2 comments
Dr. Martin Raff
I am not at all sure that there is any conclusive means to test for gluten intolerance. There is a great deal of controversy about the extent to which this truly occurs. If you are to believe the current outpouring of individuals looking for gluten free diets a very significant percentage of the population may be involved.
Dr. Arthur Heller
Gluten containing foods are grains, which also contain carbs. Some are poorly digested by some people. Cut out gluten foods, also cuts down carbs, and symptoms can improve-even if not related to gluten, per se.
Dr. Barbara Stark Baxter
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: What you eat matters

Symptoms should change depending on what you eat.
Lactose intolerance produces diarrhea. Food allergies can cause bloating, but only when you eat that food. If you really bloat regardless of what food you eat, you may even have amebiasis. See if you relate to this description of common reasons for bloating: http://www.Webmd.Com/digestive-disorders/diarrhea-10/bloated-bloating if not, see a doc.

In brief: What you eat matters

Dr. Barbara Stark Baxter
Dr. Barbara Stark Baxter
Dr. Vasu Brown
Wound care

In brief: Gall bladder

It is a sign of non functioning gall bladder. Use betaine hcl if you are 150 pounds or less use 1gm or 2-3gm after meal.
If you have discomfort with hcl add bromelein it should reset quicker will need to fix gall bladder with a cleanse to prevent recurrence.

In brief: Gall bladder

Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Marsha Davis