What can I do to remedy engorgement since my baby is doing fewer feedings?

Dr. Ali Hallaj-pour

In brief: Pump very little!!

When stimulation of the breast decreases, you will start to produce less milk but there me a lag time of 3-4 days until your body self adjust.
In the meantime, just pump or manually express the top off your milk supply only until the engorgement improves, that it usually only a few seconds. Be careful not to pump for too long or you will keep producing more milk and persist with the engorgement.

In brief: Pump very little!!

Dr. Ali Hallaj-pour
Dr. Ali Hallaj-pour
Dr. Cornelia Franz

In brief: Pump a little

If you are engorged and it is painful you can pump a little to relieve the discomfort.
Warm shower can also help. Cabbage leaves placed over the breast helps decrease engorgement. If your child is nursing less you will find that in three days your breasts adapt and decrease production for the feeds that are being skipped.

In brief: Pump a little

Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Shontae Buffington