My body is always hurting. My arms, neck, back, knees, and shins. My bones always crack, especially my back and knees, should I be worried?

Dr. Colin Kerr

In brief: Aches all over

The most common cause of muscles aching all over in an otherwise healthy person is fibromyalgia.
There is no cure for this condition, but fortunately it tends to go away on its own after 10-15 years. There are, however, medications that really help the symptoms. You should see a doctor to discuss if this is what you have and what you can do to help these symptoms.

In brief: Aches all over

Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Yes and No

Bones or joints that crack are usually not a bad thing or a definite sign of disease.
The one issue is that too much cracking can lead to stretching of ligaments and tendons which could lead to instability and possible injury. However, your pain is a different concern. Your body should not hurt always and that could be a sign of an illness such as arthritis and i recommend you see a doctor for it.

In brief: Yes and No

Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Dr. Carin Van Gelder
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Need more info

How long have you had symptoms? Muscles, joints? How old are you? If these are chronic symptoms, and you're older, and you've been pretty physically active throughout your life, then these are symptoms of arthritis.
Your bones may not be cracking, but the ligaments may be. Follow up with your regular doc, and consider yoga (honestly; give it a try) to increase your flexibility/ decrease crac.

In brief: Need more info

Dr. Carin Van Gelder
Dr. Carin Van Gelder
Dr. Carin Van Gelder
...and decrease the cracking.
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: Body aches

We don't know all of your history.
If you have had cancer we have to rule out metastasis to the bones. Most likely you have only degenerative changes in your joints or muscles. Cold or flu may cause it. Cholesterol medicines may cause it. Fibromialgia may cause it. Osteoporosis some people believe may cause bone pain. Certain medications may cause it too (tamoxifen). Go to dr.

In brief: Body aches

We don't know all of your history.
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Eric Weisman