A well known dentist specialised in cosmetic dentistry vs an orthodontist specialist. Who will be better for invisalign? Both r elite premium provider

Dr. Bac Nguyen
In brief: Experience!
Like much else in life, experience cannot be gained from reading/dreaming about it.
So, one doc who has lots of school training, but just got out will not have as much experience doing the procedure vs one who did not have as much school but has been doing it for eons and has good results in the community--that is the one to pick. Talk to the people in your community! good luck.

In brief: Experience!
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen
2 comments
Dr. Arnold Malerman
There is much to be said for experience, but you only see what you know. The 2,000+ hour University Orthodontic Programs proved the new graduate with much more orthodontic experience than the generalist who dabbles part time in "braces" treatment. I've seen good Rx done by generalists, but not often. And Orthodontists do it in less time, with less problems, and an overall better result.
Dr. Robert Mokbel
In this case both are equally qualified for Invisalign, but a trained orthodontist can see different issues that can be treated more efficiently and predictably with traditional Ortho. Experience is useless without getting all the knowledge available from every source and keeping an open mind to all the possibilities.
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dentistry - Orthodontics
In brief: Orthodontist
Invisalign is a type of orthodontic treatment.
As such, i would choose the doctor who has 3 additional years of training and works full-time, all the time, on straightening teeth-- not something the cosmetic dentist does.

In brief: Orthodontist
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dr. Hilary Baskin
In brief: Hard to know!
Invisalign is a technique best for minor movements for teeth- and can be provided by both orthodontists and general dentists.
However, orthodontists are well trained in how to move teeth, more than just minor amounts, in order to have not only a good looking result, but one that results in a healthy teeth and a good bite. Btw, cosmetic dentistry is not a specialty.

In brief: Hard to know!
Dr. Jennifer Holtzman
Dr. Jennifer Holtzman
Dr. David Schleimer
Not really so hard to know: an analogy: a dermatologist is an MD, with full honors and rights afforded to a medical practitioner. They have a good understanding of the anatomy and may be able to remove an appendix if required, but I would certainly want a general surgeon, who removes appendices routinely to remove mine. The 2 or 3 years of post-doctoral training by an orthodontist makes them far more suited to managing tooth movement. With Invisalign, experience is very important, but so much of the supervision is given up to a lab and appliance fabrication in Costa Rica by "technicians". Arbitrary labels such as "elite" provider are given to clinicians who have "sold" a certain amount of Invisalign cases, it does not reference in any way at all the results of the treatment. There is no elite designation in orthodontics, but there is a peer reviewed progression to certification based on diagnosis and treatment planning and of course the quality of the therapeutic results. See an orthodontist!
Dr. Thomas Davis
Dentistry
In brief: Orthodontist
It would be good to get a consultation with a reputable orthodontist to diagnose your case properly.
With the advanced training, they can sometimes foresee problems ahead of time and incorporate this into your treatment plan. Stick with someone who does many of these cases everyday.

In brief: Orthodontist
Dr. Thomas Davis
Dr. Thomas Davis
Dr. Greg Rubin
orthodontist- without a doubt
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dentistry - Pediatric
In brief: Orthodontist
While both doctors may have the same training from the company that makes invisalign, the orthodontist has specialty training in growth and development, and tooth movement that the cosmetic dentist does not have.
This gives the orthodontist an overall advantage when it comes to moving teeth. Most cosmetic dentists i know work with an orthodontist rather then do the invisalign themselves.

In brief: Orthodontist
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dr. Ronald Achong
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: Depends
I have seen some great orthodontist and cosmetic dentist work.
Also have seen some subpar work from orthodontist and cosmetic dentist with respect to invisalign. One great way to decide is to speak to previous patients who were treated with invisalign by those doctors, ask for before and after pictures and find out where the local dentist children go to for orthodontic work.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Ronald Achong
Dr. Ronald Achong
3 comments
Dr. Arnold Malerman
What you say is true, but the average result of malocclusion correction done by orthodontists is better than the average result done by generalists. Who do you want to do your brain surgery, a trained Neurosurgeon or a GP who picks up a scalpel part time?
Dr. Gabriel Malouf
Also consider the relative complexity of the case. If it's not brain surgery, you may have more options. Make sure you are comfortable with any provider before you go ahead ;-)
Dr. Steven Alper
Dentistry
In brief: Cant Say
But i can tell you not to give much regard to the premium provider listing on invisalign's website.
An orthodontist that has many associates could be an elite premium provider and only actually treat 1 case a year. It only is an indication of how many cases are submitted from the practice, not the doctor.

In brief: Cant Say
Dr. Steven Alper
Dr. Steven Alper
Dr. William Jakavick
Dentistry - Cosmetic
In brief: Invisalign
Invisalign involves special training that is available to all dentists.
However, I would defer to the orthodontic specialist. Not all cases are easily handled without advanced orthodontic training and many cannot be completed with Invisalign. Being a cosmetic specialist does not make one an Invisalign expert.

In brief: Invisalign
Dr. William Jakavick
Dr. William Jakavick
Dr. Robert Mokbel
Invisalign is just that it does not make the practitioner an orthodontist, but an orthodontist trained in Invisalign can do both.
Dr. Harry Aronowitz
Dentistry - Orthodontics
In brief: Not enough info
Invisalign awards titles such as "elite provider" based on volume of business they give to invisalign, not quality of results.
Before you invest your money you need to do more research. Ask your family dentist and doctor who they would go to.

In brief: Not enough info
Dr. Harry Aronowitz
Dr. Harry Aronowitz
Dr. Hilary Baskin
like asking "should I have a general internist or a heart surgeon do my heart surgery". Let's see, the Orthodontist has had 3 years of additional training specifically in this field. Go to your orthodontist.
Dr. Kyle Shank
Dentistry
In brief: I would do Ortho
I know first-hand the training that a dentist gets in ortho compared to an orthodontist (i'm a dentist, my wife is an orthodontist).
There's a lot of biomechanics that you really need a full residency program to get. An orthodontist typically has better invisalign training also. My wife has done complex extraction cases that others said couldn't be done w/ invisalign thanks to her training!

In brief: I would do Ortho
Dr. Kyle Shank
Dr. Kyle Shank
Dr. Gabriel Malouf
Dentistry - Cosmetic
In brief: Meet them both.
You may find that (depending on what exactly needs to be done) that you have options.
Both these providers are probably well advertised and confident. Know that neither advertising nor ego make a good provider, and decide after interviewing them & other dental personnel in the area. Also if you want the best treatment, consider other options: invisalign might not get you there.

In brief: Meet them both.
Dr. Gabriel Malouf
Dr. Gabriel Malouf
Dr. Bryan Siegelman
Dentistry - Periodontics
In brief: Orthodontist
All things being equal the orthodontis has more training in straightening teeth.

In brief: Orthodontist
Dr. Bryan Siegelman
Dr. Bryan Siegelman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics
In brief: Specialty
Is the cosmetic dentistry "specialist" trained prosthodontic specialist, or a family dentist who does restorations competently? You would probably be better served in the office of an orthodontic specialist for orthodontic care.

In brief: Specialty
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Maurice Lindly
Dentistry
In brief: Either.
If your maloccusion is treatable with invisalign either will do a fine job as the progressive splints are computer generated.
However invisalign is only used for minor tooth movement and you may be better off having conventional orthodontics if you have a significant malocclusion.

In brief: Either.
Dr. Maurice Lindly
Dr. Maurice Lindly
Dr. Robert Mokbel
Dentistry
In brief: Orthodontist
Orthodontics have more training in the traditional Ortho field and in Invisalign as well, they have basically more training, since these 2 providers are both elite, I will go,with the orthodontist.
If something arises during the treatment and additional alternative treatment may be needed, the orthodontist will have much more tricks in his bag.

In brief: Orthodontist
Dr. Robert Mokbel
Dr. Robert Mokbel
Dr. Randall Shaw
Dentistry - Orthodontics
In brief: Use a Specialist!
If you have the opportunity to be treated by a specialist you will benefit from the extra 2-3 years of dedicated training they have received.
Although a general dentist can legally provide the treatment, an orthodontist is much more familiar with detecting minor deviations from the expected treatment to help ensure that you get the results you expect

In brief: Use a Specialist!
Dr. Randall Shaw
Dr. Randall Shaw
Dr. Jerry Hu
Dentistry - Cosmetic
In brief: Check with Invisalig
Aligntech has different levels where dental professionals are trained, you may want to check with them. An orthodontist is a specialist, where as a cosmetic dentist is not a specialist.
But, with that said, you should check with invisalign company, the costs, and your own comfort-relationship to the provider for your final decision.

In brief: Check with Invisalig
Dr. Jerry Hu
Dr. Jerry Hu
Dr. Steven Corben
Dentistry - Cosmetic
In brief: Experience
It really depends on your particular situation and expectations; and the dentists' experience.
Frequently, both dentists can work together to help you.

In brief: Experience
Dr. Steven Corben
Dr. Steven Corben
Dr. Kevin Owoc
Dentistry - Prosthodontics
In brief: Orthodontist
Cosmetic dentistry is not a recognized specialty.
Moving teeth is a specialty of orthodontists. This is not to say that a general dentist couldn't do this and meet your expectations. However, there are reasons orthodontists spend more time and training in performing tooth movement. This experience will generally produce a more predictable and esthetic result. Keep smiling !

In brief: Orthodontist
Dr. Kevin Owoc
Dr. Kevin Owoc
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry
In brief: Dangerous to answer
I've read all the answers & here is my 2 cents: better to render treatment?: the dentist with the most training, the most experience, the most integrity & with the patient's best interests at heart.
"elite provider" just does more cases but doesn't make him bad. Orthodontists have more training but does not guarantee quality. Invisalign has limitations. Everything being =, i would go to ortho!

In brief: Dangerous to answer
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Lederman
Dentistry
In brief: Your choice
As elite providers, both are experienced.
I would ask to see before and after photos of conditions and treatment similar to yours. Don't rule out conventional orthodontics.

In brief: Your choice
Dr. Gary Lederman
Dr. Gary Lederman
Dr. Edison Han
Dentistry
In brief: I would go to ortho
Elite premium provider does not mean anything.
Invisalign technology has gotten better but there are still some limitations. Talk to dentist who can do both invisalign and straight wire orthodontics.

In brief: I would go to ortho
Dr. Edison Han
Dr. Edison Han
Dr. Steven Koos
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: Top1% Elite Provider
Best to find the highest designation invisalign assigns - "elite top !%", these designations are given to clinicians who are in the top 1% of the nation with the number of cases they have successfully completed and with their level of expertise with the product.
Even if this clinician is a dentist, which several are, that is who i would go to if i was sticking to the invisalign product.

In brief: Top1% Elite Provider
Dr. Steven Koos
Dr. Steven Koos
Dr. James Anderson
Dentistry
In brief: Orthodontist
Orthodontists have two to three years more of additional training.

In brief: Orthodontist
Dr. James Anderson
Dr. James Anderson
Dr. Robert Rosenberg
Dentistry - Orthodontics
In brief: Orthodontist
A board certified orthodontist has more training specifically as a 'tooth mover' and specializes in only orthodontics, not the whole gambit of dentistry, as a general dentist does.

In brief: Orthodontist
Dr. Robert Rosenberg
Dr. Robert Rosenberg