I just got my blood work back and my iron level was 649. I still have a regular period, don't take any meds and my iron low before. What's wrong with ?

Dr. Bac Nguyen

In brief: Could be error

That iron level is very very high.
..Especially in light of being low before. There are several components of the iron-work-up, thus it is possible that this is actually not the iron level but other protein i.e. Transferrin (200-400) and ferritin (30-400) depending on specific lab. Ferritin can vary greatly, easily over 1000 with acute illness etc... So, check with your doc to confirm. Good luck.

In brief: Could be error

That iron level is very very high.
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen
2 comments
Dr. Bac Nguyen
normally the iron level is 30-150 range. I have not seen above 300 yet... at true iron level above 600, you should have other indictors of iron-overload....which I did not see from your description.
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Glad I was of service to you. Best of luck...
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: Excess Menstrual

Iron levels alone are unreliable.
We would like to know your , CBC ( hemoglobin or hematocrit), tibc, and your ferritin to have a better understanding of your iron metabolism. Many ladies have chronic anemia and low iron because of heavy menstrual periods. Depending upon your age you may or may not have uterine polyps, fibroids or other reason to bleed too much.

In brief: Excess Menstrual

Iron levels alone are unreliable.
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Bac Nguyen
see my answer above:
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham