Does a past eptopic pregnancy effect the chances of future pregnancies?

Dr. Philip Chenette
Fertility Medicine

An ectopic pregnancy is associated with a blocked or damaged fallopian tube.
Many women with this problem are unable to conceive because there is no way for the egg to travel from the ovary to the uterus.

Dr. Philip Chenette
Dr. Philip Chenette
Dr. Khurram Rehman
Fertility Medicine

First, there is a 10-30% chance of another ectopic pregnancy.
Consult your OB as soon as you have a + pregnancy test, are late with your period if regular, or have pain or bleeding . Second, many diseases that damage your tubes in the first place (pelvic infections or endometriosis) can damage your ovaries and lower your egg supply - a reproductive endocrinologist can check this. Some may need ivf.

Dr. Khurram Rehman
Dr. Khurram Rehman
Dr. Andrew Silverman
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Most definately

A previous tubal ectopic pregnancy significantly increases the chance of a second ectopic.
So if you're late for your menses and/or feel that you're pregnant see your gynecologist.

In brief: Most definately

Dr. Andrew Silverman
Dr. Andrew Silverman
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Yes.. But

I agree with the other two answers but i want to clarify a point.
An ectopic pregnancy can cause damage tot he tube during treatment and healing. Perhaps more likely is that the cause of the first ectopic pregnancy is the cause of infertility, rather than the ectopic. As many as 30% of women with a previous ectopic pregnancy do not conceive naturally in the future. Best wishes.

In brief: Yes.. But

Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Frank Yelian

Your history of ectopic pregnancy indicates that you have tubal disease.
So your risk of future tubal pregnancy is higher than general population. I suggest you have closely monitor your future pregnancy, or consider ivf to prevent future ectopics.

Dr. Frank Yelian
Dr. Frank Yelian
Dr. Jane Van Dis