8 doctors weighed in:
How does my doctor know I have a herniated disk?
8 doctors weighed in

Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine
3 doctors agree
In brief: You tell him
Most diagnoses are made when you listen to what the patient complains about and then you do a thorough exam. 90% of the time a doctor will make the diagnosis with imaging/testing usually confirming it or helping to make the diagnosis in the other 10%.

In brief: You tell him
Most diagnoses are made when you listen to what the patient complains about and then you do a thorough exam. 90% of the time a doctor will make the diagnosis with imaging/testing usually confirming it or helping to make the diagnosis in the other 10%.
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Thank
Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management
1 doctor agrees
In brief: Maybe Exam?
Unsure without much more details.
But a thorough medical exam and history often tells the story. Xray and MRI can help that more.

In brief: Maybe Exam?
Unsure without much more details.
But a thorough medical exam and history often tells the story. Xray and MRI can help that more.
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Qamar Khan
Thank
Dr. Roger Frankel
Neurosurgery
1 doctor agrees
In brief: Exam, MRI
If your complaints and physical examination suggest a disc herniation, the diagnosis can be confirmed with an mri.

In brief: Exam, MRI
If your complaints and physical examination suggest a disc herniation, the diagnosis can be confirmed with an mri.
Dr. Roger Frankel
Dr. Roger Frankel
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Eric Weisman
Board Certified, Neurology
32 years in practice
9M people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors