I was told I have pseudo-gout.  is that the same thing?

Dr. James Chu
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: Not same as gout
Both gout and pseudo-gout will cause sudden, painful swelling in joints, and both are caused by deposits of crystals in the joints.
However, gout is caused by uric acid crystals, and is often associated with lifestyle and dietary factors, and metabolic diseases. Pseudogout is caused by calcium pyrophosphate crystals, and is related to advancing age, history of trauma, other medical conditions.

In brief: Not same as gout
Dr. James Chu
Dr. James Chu
Dr. Pierre Moeser
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: No
Gout is an arthritis in which painful flares are caused by monosodium urate crystals.
"pseudogout" means "false gout." attacks of pseudogout may look like gout but are caused by calcium pyrophosphate crystals.

In brief: No
Dr. Pierre Moeser
Dr. Pierre Moeser
Dr. Marsha Davis