What to do if I have cellulitis. Should i elevate my leg while sleeping?

Dr. Martin Tyson
Addiction Medicine

Not a bad idea-- will help with some swelling.
Just prop up on a pillow or 2.

Just prop up on a pillow or 2.
Dr. Martin Tyson
Dr. Martin Tyson
Dr. Robert Dorsey
Wound care

In brief: No

Not necessary. Obtain some tubigrip compression socks to use during the day and night to help with the swelling edema associated with the cellulitis.

In brief: No

Dr. Robert Dorsey
Dr. Robert Dorsey
Dr. Michael Miller
Wound care

In brief: What's the cause ?

Cellulitis is basically a visible inflammation (itis) of the skin and soft tissues (red, hot, swollen and tender) .
It can be caused by many things including sunburn (radiation), trauma (sprained ankle) or poor vein circulation (stasis dermatitis). It need not be caused by bacteria. If you have repeated episodes of this, get to a wound care or vascular specialist, the diagnoses you have is wrong.

In brief: What's the cause ?

Dr. Michael Miller
Dr. Michael Miller
Dr. Bret Boyle
Board Certified, Wound care