I am 36 and stepped on a rusty tack that went as far as it could into my foot do I need a tetanus shot? :(

Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice

In brief: Tdap recommended

Tetanus shots are good for 10 years but if the injury is 'dirty' then >5 years is the norm. However, the adult tdap is recommended now to cover tetanus and whooping cough.
The other worry with a puncture wound is the risk of infection . I hope you could clean the wound with soap and water. If any redness/pain/swelling you should get seen because of risk of bone infection (osteomyelitis).

In brief: Tdap recommended

Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Yash Khanna

If the rusty track entered your foot.
You definitely need a Tetanus shot

If the rusty track entered your foot.
You definitely need a Tetanus shot
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. JUDY WASHINGTON

In brief: Yes, you do

Please go and see your doctaor as soon as possible.

In brief: Yes, you do

Dr. JUDY WASHINGTON
Dr. JUDY WASHINGTON
Dr. Yash Khanna
You need a tetanus shot if you have not had it for ten years.But your wound i also need to be evaluated as it can caus bacterial infection.So you do need to be checked by your doctor as soon as possible
Dr. Jonathan Jassey