I just got a script for vistaril for anxiety does not work. Xanax (alprazolam) works very well for me.Should I just tell the doc that's what I want ?

Dr. Susan Mirow
In brief: Symptom side effect
It is best to give md side effects of current rx vistaril plus symptoms you wish to have decreased that are still present from the vistaril.
In that way, both of you may choose the best medication for your needs. Xanax (alprazolam) is a controlled substance, and abusable, so a full description of symptoms and side effects is advisable. So the doc doesn't think you have a substance abuse problem.

In brief: Symptom side effect
Dr. Susan Mirow
Dr. Susan Mirow
In brief: Risks
Part of the reason that drs are reluctant to prescribe Xanax (alprazolam) & medications like it is they are highly addictive.
Talk to your dr about your anxiety & that your current meds aren't helping. Counseling can often be very helpful; i also recommend www.Moodgym.Anu.Edu.Au to my patients.

In brief: Risks
Dr. Kitturah Schomberg-Klaiss
Dr. Kitturah Schomberg-Klaiss
Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: Vistaril (hydroxyzine)
Let your doctor know vistaril (hydroxyzine) is not working, and s/he will discuss with u other options.

In brief: Vistaril (hydroxyzine)
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Eric Weisman