I have severe depression and anxiety. Should I ask my doc. About benzos?

Dangers of benzos. First question, is your dr a psychiatrist? Does dr know about depression, anxiety and addiction (which is a potential problem with benzos.)? Ssris are likely a better choice but you should talk with a psychiatrist and probably also a psychologist who can help you with non-medication techniques. Current best practice for most anxiety is in learning to cope with it rather than medicating it away.
Ask you doctor. About therapy as well as medication. You should not have to suffer with depression and anxiety. A therapist can help you start figuring out what is bothering you and start finding ways to cope better with the challenges in life.