Why does celexa (citalopram) make my sex drive low?

Serotonin receptors. Several proposed mechanisms exist for decreased libido due to ssri use including celexa (citalopram). They mainly deal with alterations in neurotransmitter and hormone levels. The main one involves stimulation of 5ht2 and 5ht3 serotonin receptors in the brain. High prolactin levels could also be involved. Inhibition of the enzyme which makes nitric oxide, a vasodilator has also been proposed.
SSRI effect. All ssri can lower sex drive and cause delayed orgasm. The reason is unknown, but i think it might have to do with causing general contentness and making people care less (good for overreacting, but not always good for motivation). Increasing norepi can help counter act. This can be done by adding wellbutrin or switching to a dual acting med like Cymbalta (duloxetine) or just lowering dose.