Might dental hygienist use a dental drill?

Dental hygienist. Dental hygienist or dental assistants are not allowe to use a high speed hand piece inside patients mouth. If you are referring to the ultrasonic hygiene cleaning instrument, they are allowed to use that. I hope that answers your question.
NO. Dental hygienists use a drill instrument when they polish your teeth but they are not allowed to cause any irreversible changes in tooth structure. They cannot alter your teeth.
RDH and drills. Depending on the state and their training, some dental hygienists are also restorative dental hygienists. They can use the dental drill to adjust or polish some filling materials. And of course they can use the hand piece to polish your teeth. Currently there are some states that are training rdhs to be dental therapists that are licensed to do basic fillings and extractions.