Why wait for cataract surgery? Is there a reason why my doc recommended this?

Dr. Richard Witlin
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery

All surgery has risks.
Cataract surgery is no different. While it is one of the most successful surgical procedures, there are complications that can and do occur, some of which can be serious and sight-threatening. You should not have cataract surgery unless you need it. Sounds like your doctor gave you good advice.

All surgery has risks.
Dr. Richard Witlin
Dr. Richard Witlin
Dr. Michael Ham
Ophthalmology

In brief: Cataract surgery

I agree, surgery has risks.
Cataract surgery is no different. While it is one of the most successful surgical procedures, there are complications that can and do occur, some of which can be serious and sight-threatening. Cataract surgery is indicated when it affects your vision and activities of daily living. Only you and your surgeon can decide the timing of surgery depending on you situation.

In brief: Cataract surgery

I agree, surgery has risks.
Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. James Ortman
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: No symptoms

Early cataracts usually are asymptomatic, so there is no reason to do surgery.

In brief: No symptoms

Dr. James Ortman
Dr. James Ortman
Dr. Arnon Rubin