I had an arthroscopy on my knee for rheumatoid arthritis three months ago. Th eknee is still painful and swollen. Why?

Dr. Jason Torrente
In brief: Depends
Arthroscopy can only help you if you have any structural abnormality like a meniscal tear. Ra is an autoimmune that can prematurally destroy a joint.
You may need some form of oral treatment for RA if you are still symptomatic. You should follow up with your rheumatologist.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Jason Torrente
Dr. Jason Torrente
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Rheumatoid
Patients have arthroscopies for inflammatory diseases such as ra, but this illness can return rapidly to the joint even if the surgeon cleaned it out well.
I do not think your knee should be so painful simply from the procedure since it has been 3 months, but some peolple heal slower. My suspicion is that RA is active in the knee and may require medications rather then further surgery.

In brief: Rheumatoid
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Dr. Stuart Springer
May also depend on what was found and what was done in the knee.
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine