I had an arthroscopy on my knee for rheumatoid arthritis three months ago. Th eknee is still painful and swollen. Why?

Depends. Arthroscopy can only help you if you have any structural abnormality like a meniscal tear. Ra is an autoimmune that can prematurally destroy a joint. You may need some form of oral treatment for RA if you are still symptomatic. You should follow up with your rheumatologist.
Rheumatoid. Patients have arthroscopies for inflammatory diseases such as ra, but this illness can return rapidly to the joint even if the surgeon cleaned it out well. I do not think your knee should be so painful simply from the procedure since it has been 3 months, but some peolple heal slower. My suspicion is that RA is active in the knee and may require medications rather then further surgery.

Related Questions

It feels like I have a cramp behind my right knee quite painful but no actual cramp. I also suffer from rheumatoid arthritis.?

Baker's cyst? Arthritis of internal knee structures often leads to over-production of fluid in the knee. This is often noted as stiffness/fullness behind knee. A proper examination is necessary to determine of this is the case. Treatment could include drainage, steroid injection, etc. Other thoughts: tumor, inflamed nerves/tendons. For latter, neuroprolotherapy or prolotherapy may help. See dr for best diagnosis.

My ESR is 34, rf, aso &ana tests all are negative. I have joint pain in my finger, knee & toe. Mild swelling in 3 fingers at dip joint. Can I still have rheumatoid arthritis?

Possible. It is possible to have sero- negative ra, in which the rheumatoid factor assay is negative. It is also possible that you have another autoimmune illness, there are some overlaps in these conditions and the lab work doesn't always give an exact diagnosis. You should see a rheumatologist if your joint inflammation persists.
Not. Gout but wold check with your pcp or rheumatologist for osteoarthritis or some other form.

37 yr-old woman has 2 years of pain and swelling in multiple joints, including stiffness, and is hoping to get her normal life back as aerobics.....?

Joint pain. Multiple joints swelling and pain sounds like you have active arthritis, Have yourself examined to rule out Rheumatoid arthritis or any other connective tissue problem.
Arthritis. Arthritis (http://www. Arthritis. Org/) is a general term describing inflammation of joints. Of note, more common osteoarthritis (OA) is from wear & tear, and not truly linked to inflammation (despite name). OTOH, rheumatoid arthritis is classic inflammatory arthritis. Check out http://www. Mayoclinic. Org/diseases-conditions/rheumatoid-arthritis/basics/definition/con-20014868 then see your FamilyDoc.
Rheumatologist. Your symptoms are consistent with an inflammatory arthritis as seen in rheumatoid arthritis or lupus. A rheumatologist is best qualified to evaluate, advise and treat you after appropriate tests are ordered and completed.
Joint pains etc. Non-specific joint pains and night blindness in vegan with an irregular diet and Fe deficiency would cause me to seek a Vit A and Vit D level FIRST before invoking rheumatological diagnosis, because adult rickets and Vit A deficiency would cause all these symptoms thanks.
Rheumatoid Arthritis Frozen Shoulder. Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease with symptoms that can be caused in part by inflammation. RA symptoms can vary from person to person, including: Joint pain, swelling and stiffness Fatigue and muscle pain Advanced RA complications include joint damage that leads to deformity and limited range of motion.� Analgesics Used for pain relief. A commonly used analgesic is acetaminophen and it can be found over-the-counter. In some cases of severe pain, doctors may prescribe a prescription analgesic. Corticosteroids Often called “steroids”; used to help relieve pain and reduce inflammation. They are often prescribed to relieve acute symptoms, with the goal of gradually tapering off the medication. DMARDs (disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs) Reduce pain and inflammation, like NSAIDs. However, they can also slow further RA joint damage. DMARDs, such as methotrexate, are only available with a doctor’s prescription. They may take a few weeks or months to have an effect. Biologics Used in moderate to severe RA to reduce signs and symptoms; some may help slow or prevent the progression of joint damage. Biologics work by blocking part of the immune system that contributes to the inflammation seen in RA. Biologics are often used in combination with methotrexate or other DMARDs.
Eating disorder. By history patient maybe experiencing an eating disorder in combination with gut dysbiosis, creating an auto immune response, creating pain, insomnia, swelling, stiffness, etc....needs to heal the gut.
Multiple systems involved. Hormonal imbalance as per Hx of low sex drive, menopause. Needs to see a doctor specializing in BHRT. Poor nutrition consult a functional nutritionist not just a regular RD. May have food allergies. In view of RA would advise cutting out Gluten and dairy, avoiding Soy. Cut down on intense exercising instead do more walking, yoga or Tai Chi. Will reduce joint damage. She needs to accept and be resigned to the fact that her previous "normal life" will be bad for her RA. Counseling for stress management & binge eating.
Reassessment. I do not know who the diagnosis of Rheumatoid Arthritis was made, initially. Sounds like you need a reassessment for the more general term "inflammatory Arthritis"as well as other autoimmune disorder such as Lupus. Also, hydroxychloroquine can be associated with vision changes so I also suggest a visit to an Ophthalmologist.
Polyarthralgia. Your symptoms could be caused from various issues. It could be some type of arthritic problem. However, given your diet and complaint of headache or being "Postmenopausal" for 3 years I would consider some type of endocrine or nutritional issue. Have you checked vitamin D or iron level?
RA. I think your rheumatoid arthritis is not well controlled. Seek out a rheumatologist and discuss adding a biologic.

I was diagnosed with early rheumatoid arthritis in my knees. Should I completely quit playing basketball?

Not necessarily. If your rheumatoid is under good control, talk to your rheumatologist as you should be okay unless you have involvement of your upper cervical spine.

Is knee replacement the best solution for rheumatoid arthritis?

Maybe. It depends on what is causing the pain and how bad the pain is. There are many medical and non-surgical treatments for rheumatoid arthritis, but if required, knee replacement is an appropriate treatment.
If necessary. If necessary, when the joint is destroyed by rheumatoid disease, knee replacement can relieve pain and improve function. However, it is typically best if the disease (rheumatoid arthritis) be controlled medically with medicines so that the effects of the joints (hips, wrists, elbows, knees, etc) are minimized.

Talked to ortho and says my knee buckling and pain could be rheumatoid arthritis is that possible?

Yes. If your orthopedic surgeon is concerned about you possibly having rheumatoid arthritis, you should take it seriously and see a rheumatologist soon for further evaluation. I get a relatively high percentage of referrals from orthopedic surgeons who truly have inflammatory arthritis (compared to referrals from primary care docs and other subspecialist physicians).An MRI with contrast can prove it.