Are vaginitis, itching, or women's candida truly related to diet (or is that a myth)? I take fish oil and a multivitamin, but also eat dark chocolate!

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
In brief: Mostly myth
If you have a food allery, you can develop a rash and / or itching as a result and those symptoms could manifest as vaginal irritaion.
Otherwise diet has no relationship to episodes of vaginitis that is more likely related to etioloies such as - infectious, hormonal, diabetes related, contact dermatitis, or foreign body related episodes of vaginitis.

In brief: Mostly myth
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Carlos Quezada
In brief: Not necessarily
Diet can have an impact on many aspects.
The vaginal ecosystem is a delicate balance between good and potentially bad pathogens. Things that can alter the vaginal pH or balance of power (taking antibiotics) can lead to a yeast infection. Poor hygiene can also play a role. Some of my hispanic patients that are not adept to eating spicy foods report yeast infection after eating such foods.

In brief: Not necessarily
Dr. Carlos Quezada
Dr. Carlos Quezada
Dr. Randy Buckles
In brief: Vaginitis and diet
I don't know of any studies that relate vagingitis to diet other than yogurt with live culture tends to reduce oral thrush and interanal overgrowth yeast that can cause diarrhea.

In brief: Vaginitis and diet
Dr. Randy Buckles
Dr. Randy Buckles
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology