I have a mallet finger that never got treated. Aesthetically, it doesn't look great, but there is no pain. Should I have it looked at?

Dr. Nolan Segal
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: No

If it doesn't bother you, leave it alone.
Surgery would leave a scar and the finger will still be slightly bent.

In brief: No

Dr. Nolan Segal
Dr. Nolan Segal
David Miller

In brief: Your call

If the finger works fine and doesn't hurt, then it's totally your call on whether to get it fixed.
Depending on the specif cause and how long it's been since it was injured, you may be able to have it splinted or you may require surgery to fix it. See your doc for an evaluation and possibly a referral to an orthopedist or hand surgeon.

In brief: Your call

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Todd Siff
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Maybe

If the mallet finger is more than 3 months and you have full function, you do not need to get it looked at.
If the injury is less than 3 months old, treatment is an option with splinting.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Todd Siff
Dr. Todd Siff