I smashed my finger 2 days ago nail is black and it's swollen should I get it drained or wait till the nail falls off i'm in a lot of pain ?

David Miller
In brief: Drain if in pain
If the nail is causing you a lot of pain, it's a good idea to see your doc to have it properly drained.
The process will involve burning a hole in the nail with a small, hot wire, allowing the collected blood to drain out. Eventually the nail will likely fall off on its own but draining it will release the pressure relieve the pain.

In brief: Drain if in pain
David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dermatology
In brief: See md
If you are in lot of pain there is possibility of broken finger. A x-ray may be ne essay to rule out a fracture.

In brief: See md
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dr. Morris Westfried
In brief: Immediate attention
is needed , go to ER will X-ray to rule out fracture and drain the blood to relive the pain and prevent cut off of blood supply by pressure built up in the pulp space , which may cause bone necrosis due to loss of blood supply .
Do not wait see the ER doctor

In brief: Immediate attention
Do not wait see the ER doctor
Dr. Addagada Rao
Dr. Addagada Rao
Dr. Vikram Patel