My 4 wk old wont stop crying unless II let her fall asleep in my arms. Is it bad to leave her be and let her cry, or should I just carry her?

In brief: If U plan to forever

A 4wk old does not know when she's sleeping or that sleep would help her fatigue.
Parents who rock/cary infants have 3-4x sleep disturbances in kids the first 3 yrs of life. Your goal is to create a comfortable sleep zone/crib where baby feels safe. It should have light so baby can always recognize the place & some comforting sound. Bathe her to relax, place in crib & read to her from a distance.

In brief: If U plan to forever

David Miller

In brief: Love her lots

So long as she is well fed and has a clean diaper, when it's time for her to sleep it's fine to lay her down and walk away and let her cry.
However, it's also fine to walk with her a bit. Just keep in mind that either she will train you or you will train her. :-).

In brief: Love her lots

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
2 comments
David Miller
It is tough with a first baby. You want to be the perfect parent and give her everything she needs. Part of what she needs is to learn to self-sooth. Feel free to let her cry a bit, even if it takes "baby steps" on your part.
David Miller
Excellent! You'll do fine and so will she. Best wishes and let us know how else we here at HealthTap can help.
Dr. Cristina Carballo
Pediatrics - Neonatology

In brief: Not bad

At this age you can't spoil babies.
They need the warmth and reassurance of a loving being to be with them. Enjoy the cuddle time, they grow up way to fast!

In brief: Not bad

At this age you can't spoil babies.
Dr. Cristina Carballo
Dr. Cristina Carballo
Dr. Cindy Juster