Does an anesthesiologist have to stay with his patients the whole time while under anesthesia?Thanks

Dr. Karen Sibert
Anesthesiology

In brief: Constant monitoring

I stay with my patients the entire time they are under anesthesia, and care for only one patient at a time.
That is the way my group is set up. In other practices, an anesthesiologist may supervise two or more nurse anesthetists or anesthesiologist assistants, so he or she may be monitoring more than one patient at a time. That is called the anesthesia care team model. Either way is safe.

In brief: Constant monitoring

Dr. Karen Sibert
Dr. Karen Sibert
Dr. Seth Akst
While under anesthesia (general, regional or monitored anesthesia care), a patient will be monitored the entire time by a member of the anesthesia care team. That team member may be an attending anesthesiologist, a resident anesthesiologist, an Anesthesiology Assistant, or a CRNA.
Dr. Hanriet Minasian

Anesthesia is continually monitored and so is the patient throughout the entire procedure/surgery.

Dr. Hanriet Minasian
Dr. Hanriet Minasian
Dr. Seth Akst
While under anesthesia (general, regional or monitored anesthesia care), a patient will be monitored the entire time by a member of the anesthesia care team. That team member may be an attending anesthesiologist, a resident anesthesiologist, an Anesthesiology Assistant, or a CRNA
Dr. Ronald Achong
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Not necessarily

Sometimes a nurse trained in anesthesiology will take over after the anesthesiologist md leaves the room. Once the case is not complex and the patient has no medical issues, then a nurse trained in anesthesiology can manage the entire case.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Ronald Achong
Dr. Ronald Achong
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology

In brief: Depends on practice

Either an anesthesiologist will stay with you the entire time, or the anesthesiologist will delegate responsibility to a nurse anesthetists.
If this occurs the anesthesiologist will be immediately available for any problems. They will start and finish the anesthetic and monitor it at intervals. Which one that you get depends on location in the us. However, someone will always be there!

In brief: Depends on practice

Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery