Should I be worried that my breasts started hurting after I weaned my child?

Dr. Cornelia Franz

In brief: Not really

Because they are not being drained regularly, breasts will be tender/sore for a few days to a week or so after you wean.
Use cabbage leaves to help promote the dry up process. If they continue to be sore 2+ weeks after, talk to a lactation consultant and/or your doctor. Plugged ducts or mastitis would be the concern.

In brief: Not really

Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Scott Tomaine

In brief: No

This is usually due to breast engorgement and is very common.
It will go away on its own in a short time. Ibuprofen by mouth, topical ice packs, and believe it or not, cabbage leaves on your breasts, can all help. If the pain is worsening significantly, is associated with redness or fevers, you should be seen by your doctor.

In brief: No

Dr. Scott Tomaine
Dr. Scott Tomaine
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham