I got hit in the kidney with a tennis ball. Not too hard but just enough to make it sting. How do I know if I seriously injured my kidneys?

Dr. Bac Nguyen
In brief: No blood, lessening
If you are not peeing blood and pain is lessening, then you know you are getting better and not likely have seriously injured them. If pain is getting worse, get it checked.
Good luck.

In brief: No blood, lessening
Good luck.
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. George Klauber
Pediatrics - Urology
In brief: Highly unlikely
Kidneys are very well protected + kidney damage is unlikely even after severe blows to the flanks or abdomen.
Urinary blood is a fairly reliable sign of kidney damage. Stinging should end rapidly. Occasionally minor flank or abdominal trauma cause bleeding in a hydronephrotic (swollen + partially obstructed) kidney. This is obviously not the case as you don't report any blood in your urine.

In brief: Highly unlikely
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine