I am 27 weeks pregnant and I've gained a total of nine pounds during my whole pregnancy. Is this bad?

Dr. James Marquardt

In brief: It depends

Recommended weight gain during pregnancy depends on your pre-pregnant weight, more specifically bmi, a measure of weight and body type.
If, for instance, your pre-pregnancy bmi is in the normal range, then the recommended weight gain at 27 weeks would be about 15 lbs, but if your bmi is in the very overweight range then a total weight gain for the entire pregnancy might be only 5-10 lbs.

In brief: It depends

Dr. James Marquardt
Dr. James Marquardt
Dr. Wayne Ingram

In brief: It depends

Your original height and weight (bmi) is a better indicator of whether this 9 lb.
Weight gain is a problem or not, as well as how rapidly the weight was gained. The obvious concern is intra-uterine fetal growth retardation. Please check with your OB who is providing ongoing prenatal care.

In brief: It depends

Dr. Wayne Ingram
Dr. Wayne Ingram
Dr. Jane Van Dis