I've gotten two belly button infections since I gave birth. Is this normal?

Dr. Richard Feinstein
Dermatology

In brief: Sore belly button

It is possible that you have a bad bacteria germ living within your belly button, or umbilicus.
You can try to cleanse inside with antibacterial soap and use neosporin to kill the germ. If this does not work, you should go to a doctor for a bacterial culture and proper antibiotics. The germ may be contagious to your newborn child and others in your household.

In brief: Sore belly button

Dr. Richard Feinstein
Dr. Richard Feinstein
Dr. JUDY WASHINGTON

In brief: Not normal

It can happen due to excess skin.
I would suggest paying more attention to the area when you shower. You can clean the area with a q-tip and alcohol or just make sure the area is dry after a shower.

In brief: Not normal

It can happen due to excess skin.
Dr. JUDY WASHINGTON
Dr. JUDY WASHINGTON
Dr. Jane Van Dis