Why do some braces require molar bands and others dont? Will molar bands make it hard to eat like with spacers?

Dr. William Jakavick
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Molar bands

Tooth movement with braces uses many different types of brackets and bands, etc.
When bands need to be placed on the molars it may indicate that stronger anchorage is needed to more involved tooth realignment, or access may be an issue. Whatever the reason it should not make it more difficult to eat as the bands do not involve the chewing surfaces of the teeth.

In brief: Molar bands

Dr. William Jakavick
Dr. William Jakavick
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: Ortho Variations

Different orthodontists use different techniques based upon training, personal preferences and specific requirements of each individual case.
Although I am not an orthodontist, in the vast majority of full mouth cases that I have seen, the four first molars (one in each quadrant) get ss bands and the rest of the teeth get brackets.

In brief: Ortho Variations

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Aaron Milstone