To get invisalign, I found a dentist and orthodontist who are both elite premium provider. Would orthodontist be better to treat complicated case?

Dr. James Bates
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: Yes!
If you're going to have orthodontic treatment, you should see a fully trained orthodontist, a dental specialist.
Invisalign can be successful with fairly straightforward, simple cases, but may not be your best choice for a complicated case. Invisalign isn't for every case. However, an orthodontic specialist can help you determine what would be the best option for your particular problem.

In brief: Yes!
Dr. James Bates
Dr. James Bates
Dr. William Dabney
Dentistry - Orthodontics
In brief: Elite provider
Have you researched how they reached this 'status' ? It is given by the manufacturer dependent on how many cases have been submitted by the provider. Why don't you research the doctor yourself? Ask for patient referrals.
How many years they have been providing this service. Experience really counts.

In brief: Elite provider
Dr. William Dabney
Dr. William Dabney
Dr. Alvin Mathew
In brief: Depends
Depends on the individual person but in general , yes.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Alvin Mathew
Dr. Alvin Mathew
2 comments
Dr. Zackary Faber
While I agree that it depends on the individual dentist, an orthodontist spent 2-3 years of additional residency training focused solely on the biology of tooth movement and all of the appliances that are necessary to accomplish this movement.
Dr. Michael Stepovich
No question complicated orthodontic is best done by a trained orthodontist. Although there are a good number of dentists who do invisalign simple treatments complicated treatment should be left to the specialist.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management
In brief: See orthodontist
General dentists often refer the more complicated cases to an orthodontist.

In brief: See orthodontist
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dentistry - Pediatric
In brief: Orthodontist
While both doctors may have the same training from the company that makes invisalign, the orthodontist has specialty training in growth and development, and tooth movement that the other dentist does not have.
This gives the orthodontist an overall advantage when it comes to moving teeth. Most dentists i know work with an orthodontist rather then do the invisalign themselves.

In brief: Orthodontist
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dr. David Schleimer
Dentistry - Orthodontics
In brief: Orthodontist
Elite has nothing todo with quality of results.
It is a financial designation. An orthodontist is specifically trained in all aspects of orthodontia, and invisalign is a flawed and inferior method of orthodontic therapy. After 30 years of being a specialist, i choose not to offer invisalign in my practice. Good luck!

In brief: Orthodontist
Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. Harry Ringer
I agree, the ranking has to do with amount done not quality or training. But I would say that the product does have its worth for certain cases when in the right hands. For minor and retention maybe a well trained dentist, but for more than minor I would only have an orthodontist perform the treatment with any of the modalities Invisalign or brackets.
Dr. James Anderson
Dentistry
In brief: Orthodontist
Yes, always use an orthodontist for complicated ortho cases.
They have two to three years of extra training focusing on orthodontia vs. A general dentist.

In brief: Orthodontist
Dr. James Anderson
Dr. James Anderson
Dr. Manuel Sousa
Dentistry - Orthodontics
The orthodontist is trained to treat complicated cases in a highly specialized learning environment.
If i were choosing between elite providers i would choose the provider with the most specialized training - orthodontist.

Dr. Manuel Sousa
Dr. Manuel Sousa
Dr. Daniel Quon
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
Even though many general dentists may provide orthodontic treatment with Invisalign, an orthodontist is a dental specialist who has more postdoctoral training and more experience in training complicated cases.
Although Invisalign is a nice concept, it may not be indicated for certain malocclusions. For complex cases, treatment provided by an orthodontist would be strongly recommended.

Dr. Daniel Quon
Dr. Daniel Quon
Dr. Kayvon Javid
Dentistry
In brief: Good question
I think here you know the answer yourself.
An orthodontist is a specialist for that very reason but never the less there are many general dentist who have extensive training in orthodontics and are well qualified to do the treatment. They will both give you a 3d rendering of the final product called a clincheck and the only difference is in the planning. Do research, go with the one you trust.

In brief: Good question
Dr. Kayvon Javid
Dr. Kayvon Javid
Dr. Perry Opin
Dentistry - Orthodontics
In brief: Invisiline
The fact that both providers have achieved an elite status only signifies how many cases the drs.
Have done. There is little relationship to a skill level. See the orthodontist. He has the education to properly evaluate your bad bite and design an appropriate treatment plan. Further, if there is an unforeseen problem that requires fixed appliances, he will be able to complete the case.

In brief: Invisiline
Dr. Perry Opin
Dr. Perry Opin
Dr. Gabriel Malouf
Dentistry - Cosmetic
In brief: Sometimes.
You may find that (depending on what exactly needs to be done) that you have options.
Both these providers are probably well advertised and confident. Know that neither advertising nor ego make a good provider, and decide after interviewing them & other dental personnel in the area. Also if you want the best treatment, consider other options: invisalign might not get you there.

In brief: Sometimes.
Dr. Gabriel Malouf
Dr. Gabriel Malouf
In brief: I would hope so!
Yes.
As an expert in orthodontics, he/she would have more tools to use when dealing with complicated cases. But then, complicated cases are not suitable for invisalign. Imho, invisalign is not an end all. It has limitations. Ask, before you begin, if invisalign is the best option for your needs.

In brief: I would hope so!
Yes.
Dr. Woojin Woody Kwon
Dr. Woojin Woody Kwon
Dr. Glenn Maron
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
Orthodontist will usually be a better option.

Dr. Glenn Maron
Dr. Glenn Maron
Dr. Kenneth Zipkin
being an elite premium provider is a designation given by Align Technology based on the number of treatments a doctor submits to the company. It has little to do with the doctors capability. Choose your doctor wisely.
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dentistry - Orthodontics
The orthodontist has far more extensive training in tooth movement.
Orthodontists should not be doing root canals and dentists should not be doing orthodontics. Stick to using the proper expert, with the proper training for the proper need.

Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dr. Robert Rosenberg
Dentistry - Orthodontics
The additional training and experience of an orthodontist will, in general, provide a better result of a complicated orthodontic case.

Dr. Robert Rosenberg
Dr. Robert Rosenberg
Dr. S. Jay Bowman
Dentistry - Orthodontics
In brief: Orthodontist
The status is based on the number of cases treated, nothing more.
An orthodontist is a specialist who attended a 2-3 year residency program and limits their practice to only orthodontics. The orthodontist is familiar with more treatment options beyond just clear aligners. Having a bigger bag of options, more experience with tooth movement, and better education are keys.

In brief: Orthodontist
Dr. S. Jay Bowman
Dr. S. Jay Bowman
Dr. Shawn Murray
Dentistry
In brief: Invisalign
Depends on who you talk to.
I'm an orthodontist and do my reaction is an orthodontist. All i know is that if i need a heart surgery, i'm going to a heart surgeon and not a general practitioner. I'm sure a thousand dentist will disagree but that's my answer. An orthodontist has had a lot more specialized training that you won't get in a weekend course.

In brief: Invisalign
Depends on who you talk to.
Dr. Shawn Murray
Dr. Shawn Murray
Dr. Gary Lederman
Dentistry
In brief: Not necessarily
If a provider is experienced and diagnoses your case properly, you do not necessarily need an orthodontist.
Invisalign cases can be reviewed in collaboration with a specialist if needed or desired. If you know your desired outcome, and monitor movements carefully, general dentists can treat highly complex cases. Ultimately, it is a matter of the doctor that inspires the most confidence.

In brief: Not necessarily
Dr. Gary Lederman
Dr. Gary Lederman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Generally an Orthodontic Specialist, with over 5,000 hours more formal training in Orthodontics than the GP, and who does nothing but Orthodontics all day long every day (as opposed to slipping an occasional Invisalign case in between doing fillings and extractions), is the practitioner of choice. Research shows the level of care to be higher in the Specialist's practice.
Dr. Harry Ringer
Dentistry
In brief: Specialist
Eventhough there are dentist who choose to getting highly trained in specialities i would always go with the "true" specialist.
Getting qualified in invisalign does not make you an orthodontist (nothing against this dentist I do not know him). For minor movements i think it is fine but for full mouth alignment, there is more than just what the teeth lol, like when you are done, bite, rootimportant.

In brief: Specialist
Dr. Harry Ringer
Dr. Harry Ringer
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics
In brief: See specialist
Elite premium provider simply means the general dentist or specialist has ordered a certain number of "cases" in a year, and does not attest to their technical competence.
It's harder to treat with clear aligners than with traditional braces because aligners are less than 50% as effective. See a qualified specialist for rx. Understand ortho rx is a service, not a commodity. Go to the pros.

In brief: See specialist
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Peter Kurzweil