Can avapro (arb), tekturna (aliskiren) hctz (dri-hctz) & lotrel (ccb-ace1) be used together for high blood pressure? I know together they can cause hyperkalemia.

Dr. Daniel Konold
In brief: Overkill
Ace/arb/ dri all work on the raas system. Novartis recently released the altitude study where they studied the effects of the combination of Diovan and tekturna (aliskiren) in diabetics with renal disease.
Renal function worsened. Due to that I have stopped using those together. Now novartis is no longer promoting the tekturna (aliskiren) family of products and will be laying off 60% of their sales force in april.

In brief: Overkill
Dr. Daniel Konold
Dr. Daniel Konold
Dr. Kalyani Perumal
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis
In brief: Different meds
ARB, ACE-I,Tekturna (aliskiren) all act on one hormonal axis- renin-angiotensin- aldosterone axis.
Yes, this combination can cause hyperkalemia. Usually, medicines with different modes of action ( act at different pathways) are preferred to get the maximum benefit

In brief: Different meds
Dr. Kalyani Perumal
Dr. Kalyani Perumal
Dr. Vasudev Ananthram
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: Perhaps but...
Perhaps, but in my experience the additive effects in bringing blood pressure down are not great.
Also benefits of tekturna (aliskiren) are lacking especially in diabetics.

In brief: Perhaps but...
Dr. Vasudev Ananthram
Dr. Vasudev Ananthram
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology