I am trying to reduce the amount if carbs on a daily basis so I can try and loose weught. What guideline should I use to be safe?

David Miller
In brief: Balanced diet
Trendy diet plans aside, the secret to losing weight is for our output to exceed your input, to burn off more calories than you eat, regardless of what sort of calories they be.
1) stay active. Not necessarily a lot, just stay active. 2) be aware of what you eat. Not a diet, per se, just awareness. 3) weigh often. That way, you know what your weight is doing and you can adjust your eating.

In brief: Balanced diet
David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
3 comments
Dr. Bennett Werner
I agree with Dr. Ho. You should be aware that carbs are not the problem, calories are the problem. Simple carbs ie, sugars, should be avoided though, it's true!
Dr. Amit Bhavsar
There is some interesting research coming out lately which is actually not in support of the simple "calorie in vs calorie out" model that we all learned as doctors. Dr. Gary Taubes discusses it in his book "Good Calorie, Bad Calorie." Based on some of this, it may be more fruitful to reduce simple carbs such as breads, juices, and replace with com complex carbs, proteins and some fat.
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Bariatrics
In brief: Carbs,
Please look up info on low-glycemic carbs.
Low glycemic carbs tend to more of the berries, melons etc.High glycemic index foods tend to make us hungrier faster.These foods tend to be the starchy foods such as breads, most breakfast cereals, white flour products, etc. In order to feel more "fullness" and less hunger stick with lean proteins modest fats, and vegetables(not as starchy-potatoes), fruit.

In brief: Carbs,
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Dentistry - Cosmetic
In brief: 20-50
Stay between 20-50 gm carbs.
Do not eat high protein. Eat high fat.

In brief: 20-50
Stay between 20-50 gm carbs.
Do not eat high protein. Eat high fat.
Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Dr. Vikram Patel