My doctor says my bad cholesterol is normal but my good cholesterol is very low what can I do besides the Lipitor (atorvastatin) she prescribed to help?

Dr. Seema Patel
Holistic Medicine

In brief: Difficult

Hdl your good cholesterol is very hard to increase and there are really no great medications that increase it.
You can try exercise, losing weight, adding high doses of niacin, fish oil, hormone replacement if indicated too help increase it. Also getting the type of HDL (fluffy or small with a fractionated panel) can provide more info to you. Get your LDL & tg low so you can decrease your risk.

In brief: Difficult

In brief: Excercise & Diet

To improve your good cholesterol, get more aerobic excercise, eat more fiber, & increase your intake of omega-3 fatty acids.

In brief: Excercise & Diet

Dr. Jane Van Dis