Coffee consumption: can caffeine make my body lose vitamins and minerals?

Pathology

In brief: Probably not

Most such claims are internet exaggerations of real scientific work.
Caffine is the most popular and probably the most studied of all drugs, and serious adverse effects in real life have resisted demonstration. There are "pop" claims about caffeine interfering with absorption of iron and vitamin d; if there were any real effect on real human beings, it would be obvious by now.

In brief: Probably not

2 comments
Dr. Randy Baker
I agree. I found all sorts of claims on a variety of websites but almost all of them had no documentation. I feel people often read something undocumented on one website and repeat it on theirs without bothering to check the validity. One thing I did fine was that caffeine causes calcium loss, but the amount in one cup of coffee causes us to lose only 5 mg of calcium, a trivial amount.
Dr. Baker might be HealthTap's premiere expert on botanicals and I'm glad we're together. Coffee is one of Mother Nature's most wonderful gifts.
Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine

In brief: Yes, slightly

Good question. I found evidence that people lose about 5 mg of calcium when they have a cup of coffee-but that is a tiny amount.
Caffeine may interfere with vit. D metabolism & reduce absorption of iron, zinc, magnesium & other minerals & increase excretion of b6 & other b vits but it's hard to find solid research on this. However, most sources of caffeine have beneficial antioxidants.See comment:.

In brief: Yes, slightly

Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
I think every food has things that are good for us and things that are bad so the big question is whether the benefits outweigh the detriments. Coffee, tea, chocolate and other caffeine sources have many beneficial antioxidants and seem to be healthy in moderation. One can balance caffeine's effects on vitamins by taking extra vitamins. A new study suggests those who drink more than 4 cups of coffee have increased mortality, but other studies have conflicted. I advise the equivalent of no more than 2 cups of coffee a day. Green tea has even more benefits- up to 4 cups a day (more if decaf). Choose organic coffee or tea when possible. See http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2013/08/coffee-cant-decide-whether-it-wants-kill-you-or-make-you-immortal/68380/
Dr. Marsha Davis