Can I take muscle relaxer for tmj?

Dr. Gary Lederman
Dentistry
In brief: Short term
Drugs provide momentary relief, but fail to address the underlying reason for the muscle pain.

In brief: Short term
Dr. Gary Lederman
Dr. Gary Lederman
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
Muscle relaxers are helpful for the muscular pain associated with TMj disorders.

Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
In brief: Somewhat
Muscle relaxants, i found in my practice, are not very effective in the long run.
The meds may mask the real problem. An exam and evaluation are needed to attempt to find the source of the problem and treat without using meds.

In brief: Somewhat
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Harris Cohen
In brief: TMJ
Muscle relaxers can be helpful when the TMJ prevents your jaw from opening widely -- otherwise, antiinflammatories (nsaids or prednisone) and/or dental appliances are helpful.
This joint may also respond to steroid injection, or, as a last resort, surgical correction.

In brief: TMJ
Dr. Harris Cohen
Dr. Harris Cohen