How is the mirena (levonorgestrel)? Is it similiar to the nuvaring?

Not similar. The NuvaRing is comparable to the birth control pill, it contains estrogen and pregesterone and is intended to provide contraception by suppressing the ovaries, it usually provides good cycle contro as well - it is placed in the vagina by the user. The Mirena (levonorgestrel) is more like the depo-provera shot. Mirena (levonorgestrel) is a Progesterone only contraceptive that is placed by a physician inside the uterus.
IUD. Mirena (levonorgestrel) is a hormone coated intra-uterine device; NuvaRing is a hormone impregnated flexible ring that you insert into the upper part of your vagina, and change once a month. Mirena (levonorgestrel), once placed, provides contraception for 5 years, the NuvaRing for a month at a time.