What causes back spasms?

Injury. Lifting improperly. Overuse, lifting too much, injury, or stress.
Self Protection. When the spine has injury, the muscles near the spine are automatically triggered to tighten up and spasm. This is one way your body protects itself from further damage. When this process goes on too long the spasm interferes with circulation causing the spasm to become hard and fibrotic. Helpful: osteopathic manipulation, massage, muscle relaxants, back strengthening exercises, yoga.
Muscle injury. Severe pain in the lower back is frequently related to muscle spasm. The complex array of lower back muscles may be injured by physical activity. Poor lifting mechanics may cause this injury, resulting in muscle spasm. Also, muscle injury may result from rapid acceleration/deceleration. This type of injury is frequently caused by motor vehicle accidents.
Depends. There are many potential causes of low back pain with muscle spasms. The most common causes are related to strain or injury to the mucles and/or structures of the lower spine. While a "cure" often depends on the actual cause, prevention can be obtained by maintaining a healthy weight, good flexibility, and a strong core. See your physician if you have pain greater than 2 weeks.