I have a vericose vein on my left leg on the calf muscle can this cause leg & knee pain?

Dr. J Roberts
Surgery - Vascular
In brief: Spuriously, yes
Varicosities in and of themselves do not cause knee pain(s), rather the extremity in question typically aches, feels "full, " and occasionally sharp pains may be sensed along the vein or its tributaries.
The lesser saphenous vein starts near the lateral, posterior ankle and extends up to the popliteal fossa (the space behind the knee). Plan: ultrasound to assess for reflux, a baker's cyst or dvt.

In brief: Spuriously, yes
Dr. J Roberts
Dr. J Roberts
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: TO A DEGREE YES
I certainly see patients that develop leg pain from varicose veins.
At times the veins can become inflammed and cause more pain. Usually, I do not see varicose veins cause knee or other joint pain. I cannot say it never will do it but if it does it is quite rare.

In brief: TO A DEGREE YES
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Dr. John Landi
Phlebology
In brief: Leg but not knee.
Frequently patients with varicose veins have other associated problems, often times not related to the varicose veins.
The varicose veins around the calf could cause calf discomfort but should not cause any knee pain. You should have a venous ultrasound to evaluate the venous system in that leg and, if it doesn't explain your pain, then you may need an orthopedic evaluation.

In brief: Leg but not knee.
Dr. John Landi
Dr. John Landi
Dr. Ted King
Phlebology
In brief: Certainly possible
There is no question that leg and knee pain can be associated with varicose veins, this is especially true of leg pain.
You should see a phlebologist (vein specialist) who can evaluate your veins with ultrasound. This will help to clear up whether your leg/knee pain might be related to your varicose veins or not.

In brief: Certainly possible
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Lori Wagner
In brief: Local pain only
Vericose veins can be locally tender, but they should not cause pain in near-by joints or deep in the muscle.

In brief: Local pain only
Dr. Lori Wagner
Dr. Lori Wagner
Dr. Michael Korona
Radiology - Interventional
May have clot in vein which is called superficial thrombophlebitis.
Try advil (ibuprofen) if you can take it as well as warm compresses a few times a day for 10 minutes each. Ultrasound will confirm diagnosis and evaluate for deep venous clot which is more serious and needs treatment with blood thinner.

Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery