I think i broke my pinky last night, but im not sure. Its swollen and purple and hurts to move. How do I know if its broken, sprained, jammed...Etc. ?

Dr. Lynne Weixel
Clinical Psychology

In brief: See a doctor

Go to either your physician or an urgent care clinic and they will be able to tell - with or without x-ray.
They'll probably use a device or bandage to immobilize it for some weeks. It may not really matter that you know as much as that they do and that they give you relief and as much corrective treatment as possible. Good luck!

In brief: See a doctor

Dr. Lynne Weixel
Dr. Lynne Weixel
Dr. Timothy Trainor
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: X-ray

You need to get an x-ray in order to tell if it is broken or not.
If the x-ray does not show a break, it is likely just a sprain that should improve with time.

In brief: X-ray

Dr. Timothy Trainor
Dr. Timothy Trainor
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine