Why don't men want to go to doctors? My husband has discoid lupus, and I feel I have to drag him in to be seen. What will happen to him without treatment?

In brief: Discoid lupus
Fortunately only about 5% of patients with discoid lupus (dle) go on to develop systemic lupus (sle).
However dle can be disfiguring. I would certainly suggest he see a dermatologist to explore his treatment options.

In brief: Discoid lupus
Dr. Donald Shenenberger
Dr. Donald Shenenberger
Pathology
In brief: Scarring
I am not able to answer why your husband does not wish to see a doctor. Discoid lupus usually affects the skin of face and scalp.
The lesions may end up with hypopigmentation and scars. In a small number ~5%, it may progress to systemic lupus. Your husband could help himself by avoiding sun exposure through the use of hats and sunscreen.

In brief: Scarring
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dermatology
In brief: Scarring
The individual lesion will scar and leave discoloration.
He needs to be evaluated to determine if ot os limited to skin only. This will require blood tests , history , examination and possible tests of lung function, x rays if indicated.Treatment for discoid lupus is cream and possibly injections into lesions.

In brief: Scarring
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dr. Morris Westfried