My CT scan reported: "hyperpneumatized skull base w/air cells extending to the petrous apices, lt more than rt. Anterior clinoid processes partially pneumatized." the back of my head is tender with mild swelling and I have an ear leak. What should I do?

Dr. Philip Chao
Radiology

In brief: Normal pneumatizatio

Air cells in the bones of your skull can be a normal variant.
Pneumatization of the anterior clinoid is normal. Pain and tenderness of your head is not seen on the ct scan. It is not normal and you obviously saw a doctor who ordered a ct scan. If the ct is negative and your pain persists consider an MRI of the brain. Fluid from your ear is a ant problem. Swelling is non specific of course.

In brief: Normal pneumatizatio

Dr. Philip Chao
Dr. Philip Chao
Dr. Thomas Bragg

In brief: Mastoiditits

I would be more worried about chronic mastoiditis; a rare infection of the sinuses of the back of the skull.
This should be cared for by a ear, nose, and throat specialist.

In brief: Mastoiditits

Dr. Thomas Bragg
Dr. Thomas Bragg
Dr. Joseph Accurso
Radiology

In brief: Pneumatization of

The bones of the skullbase is variable and not unusual, but is more common in some bones.
It means the bones have pockets of air in them. The mastoid air cells and paranasal sinuses normally are aerated, while other bones are more typically not, but it is not abnormal.

In brief: Pneumatization of

Dr. Joseph Accurso
Dr. Joseph Accurso
Dr. Andrea Brand