I have been clumsy all my life, tripping and falling down a lot. Now that I have osteoporosis, i’m worried about breaking a bone when I fall. What can I do to improve my poor balance?

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Many things

Make sure your osteoporosis is adequately treated.
Make sure your calcium and vitamin d level is normal. Supplement if necessary. Remove house hazards that can make you fall: maintain adequate lighting around the house, remove clutters that can make you trip around the house, remove movable carpets/rugs. Install fall guards and handles in bathroom/bathtubs.

In brief: Many things

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Quang Nguyen
2 comments
Dr. Robert Lang
Try yoga or Tai Chi, they will help with balance, coordination and strength. This will decrease your risk of falling and, if you do fall, will help cushion the impact to decrease the risk of fracture.
Dr. David Wyatt
I totally agree with the yoga/ Tai Chi advice building core and balance is key... but making sure to do as much weight bearing exercise regularly and maintaining adequate Vitamin D levels are also helpful too!!! Be careful of shoes with too narrow a sole or too high of a heel... and watch out for curbs! ! !

In brief: Physical Therapy

See adoctor for a referral to physical therapy.

In brief: Physical Therapy

Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Marsha Davis