What's the outcome of mouth swelling?

Suffocation. Dr. Mutnick is right: tongue swelling may compromise breathing. When the tongue swells the whole shebang goes - not just the front. The posterior tongue extends into the throat. Tongue swelling can prevent air from entering and leaving the windpipe. Lip & cheek swelling is unsightly but typically resolves in a few hours. Tongue swelling is a medical emergency requiring immediate medical attention.
Find cause. Mouth cases of swelling of the mouth resolve with elimination of the cause. Dental infection, trauma to mouth, etc. If you have persistent mouth swelling, see an oral surgeon for diagnosis and treatment.
Swelling. Your tongue or throat could swell shut and you are unable to breathe or swallow. This is serious, do not take it lightly. If this is happening you need to have it checked out immediately.