Im passing asacol (mesalamine) out whole. Does colazal release differently than asacol (mesalamine) or is it also pH dependent? And does it work the same?

Dr. You Sung Sang
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Different release

While Asacol (mesalamine) release is ph dependent, Colazal does not become active until the drug reaches the colon where bacteria there splits the drug up into an active state.
In fact, the capsule is just a formality as the Colazal powder can be swallowed whole - as it is available overseas. Having said that, many of my patients also see intact Asacol (mesalamine) tabs in their stools.

In brief: Different release

Dr. You Sung Sang
Dr. You Sung Sang
Dr. Peter Kurzweil