I am 59 yrs old getting my 3rd joint replacement. I have had a shoulder, a hip& I am soon replacing my other shoulder. Is there artificial cartilage?

Dr. Douglas Mund
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

Actually cartilsage can be grown in the lab and can be used to replace the cartilage lost naturally from joints.
It can be harvested from your natural cartilage and grown in tissue culture then replanted into the joint.

Dr. Raymond Wittstadt
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: No

We do not know, how to grow new cartilage in arthritic joints.
While surgery is the last resort for a painful arthritic joint, it can be very effective in reducing pain. Good luck with your next joint replacement.

In brief: No

Dr. Andrea Brand