Is electrolysis hair removal on the face safe during pregnancy?

Dr. Joseph Bark
Dermatology

In brief: Electrolysis

I'll be very frank with you.
. . **i** don't feel it is safe for anyone. Certainly not it pregnancy, where two people are involved and one cannot yet make the decision, but even non-gravid women should know that it's almost a worthless pursuit -- it really doesn't work very well, and the risks of scarring, infections, and so forth are really significant. I don't recommend it!

In brief: Electrolysis

I'll be very frank with you.
Dr. Jane Van Dis
I happen to disagree with Dr. Bark. Electrolysis is a safe and effective form of hair removal. You have to go more than once to get results, but long term removal is definitely possible. As far as safe in pregnancy many doctors will err on the safe side and say, no, if only because studies haven't been done. My opinion would be that electrolysis on face and chin is okay, but would avoid breasts and abdomen. Also remember, that pregnancy hormones can accelerate hair growth and if you are having additional hair growth in pregnancy, it may recede when you're not pregnant, so you may want to wait to treat it. Hope that helps!
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham