What leads to pneumocystis infections?

Opportunistic. Any condition that compromises the immune system can allow pneumocystis to manifest: cancers, HIV disease, immunosupressant drugs for organ transplants or for autoimmune diseases (ra, psoriasis, etc); chemotherapy.
Immune suppression. Pneumocystis pneumonia occurs when a persons immune system is not working. This can occur with some diseases, like HIV infection or as a consequence of a therapy for a disease in which the immunity has been suppressed. For example high dose steroids which may be necessary in some autoimmune disease can predispose to pneumocystis. We now know use of a prophylactic antibiotic can prevent this.