My ankle hurts and feels like it needs to pop. I hurt it earlier. There is no swelling but could it be sprained or fractured anyway?

Dr. Ki-Hon Lin
Orthopedic Surgery

Swelling may take some time to develop.
In most cases, fractures will cause fairly severe and constant pain, with associated localized bony tenderness. Sprains can also be quite painful, but the tenderness will be localized over the ligaments rather than the bones. A physician evaluation/x-rays can help to answer your question.

Swelling may take some time to develop.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry

With small hairline fractures or minor sprains, you may not see any significant swelling.

Dr. Wenjay Sung
Podiatry

In brief: Sprain most likely

Could be a sprain to the ligaments or joint damage.
Sometimes due to your age and body type, swelling may be masked, however it takes roughly 3-4 weeks for a mild sprain to heal. If you're still having pain or it gets worse, seek out professional help.

In brief: Sprain most likely

Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine